Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Defining Surnames for Malayali Women

One of my cousins recently married and added her husband's surname to the surnames of her father and our grandmother, which already follow her name. Although this is a common practice of Malayali Christians, her decision has made me question why people add names to express identity and respect. Like many women, my cousin is socially obliged to show public appreciation for her husband and new family, but I want to explore the other motives that underlie her decision.

1 comment:

Nevin said...

Went through your post on Malayali Christian females. Very thought provoking but its not always the case. Like my Mom who still has her dad's name!A point to be discussed nevertheless.

Featured Post

Status of women in the Syrian Christian society

Introduction This article aims at showing the practices and procedures existing in the events of birth, marriage and death amidst t...